16.2.07

excited

Tomorrow I will go to deidei's home in Beijing. She invited me to celebrate Spring Festival with her family!! Getting excited to spend time with her and her family! We're going to meet with Weiyao too. I'll finally be able to watch the master play Go! Then also, I will meet up with Crete sometime this holiday too, go to check out the hutongs and Temple of Heaven. This will be interesting because he's an architect...

After meeting him I realize that architecture is not as 1 dimensional as I had thought, truthfully, I had never really thought about it at all. It simultaneously combines ideal and reality, art and philosophy, creativity and responsibility; all into one. You're creating something functional, but also beautiful. You to take the perfect design, the Eutopian ideal and combine it with the demands of reality--strike a balance somewhere in between. You have to be responsible for what you design. It's not the kind of thing that just goes away after a day or two. A building lasts for generations, whether its good or bad, ugly or beautiful. There's so much there, it has to be the most well rounded subject I've ever come across, and Crete is like a deep well holding all its secrets. The philosophy, the aesthetics are all so deep. but it's applied. the whole thing is very real. The philosophy has a real meaning. It's hard to explain.. but its like I've never felt that kind of depth or appreciation for a profession like that. Art is art, engineering is engineering.. but I now I realize there is sometimes a hidden profoundness that you don't see, can't appreciate, unless you really try to understand it.

Anyway, I'm becoming really excited, but I need to get some sleep now!

I need to do a few things to prepare for the new year:
  1. get some new red clothes
  2. have my hair cut (again.. last cut turned out to be not so good, hehe)

No comments: