25.1.07

busy busy (很忙)

Okay, so quick recap on what I've been up to:
I'm on my winter vacation here in China. Finished classes at the beginning of the month, and most all my pals from school left for home. I decided to stay here in Beijing, just relax and study Chinese outside of class, the way I like to study. I hadn't met very many Chinese people since coming here. However, before leaving Kalle (司佳乐) dragged me into his circle of friends; 由于他,我的生活改很幸福,特别感谢! That week was a little crazy: one day went to new years party, followed by Karaoke, stayed up all night (mostly) then went with Phi (文飞) to the outskirts of Beijing to go snowboarding for the first time! My life has slowed down a little now. Last week Kevin (朱键荣) envited me to go with Nikki (魏尧) and he far north of China to a city once inhabited by Russians, called Harbin (哈尔滨). There is still a Russian community there, though it is mainly Chinese now. It was really cold there, so Beijing feels like nothing now. The main attraction to Harbin is during winter. These amazing ice sculpures are crafted all around town and at special parks. Intricate sculpures and huge structures all made out of ice blocks. The're even more impressive at night when they are illuminated by neon lights. Also, there is a tiger park there protecting an endagered tiger, 谢谢! Thanks to the people I've met here in China (especially Kalle and Angeline), I'm becoming more comfortable socializing with people, 非常感谢!

Two days ago I drafted another list of things to do:
1. text new friends (people I met during Harbin train trip)
2. text 关根良
3. text 徐成
4. text 刘琳
5. blog: 哈尔滨/啊脸/赵经纶 *钥匙* ~ this should be what I'm doing now...
6. start re-app. form for PKU + financial aid & scholarships
7. leave by 10:30 AM (I was supposed to complete/begin all these things and leave to the railway by this time)

Hehe, I'm embarrassed by my actual result.. even to the present time. The following day, after 10:30 AM, I took the railway, followed by the subway to Tiananmen (天安门). It was my first time using this method of transportation by myself. There I met Hanyu (韩愈) and she took me around the Forbidden City. I really liked the big open stone courts and small buildings perched on the top of grand stone steps. It gave me this vision for a future kind of center, maybe for government, maybe something else. I think China could be so cool if it took some of this old stuff and combined it with the latest technology. I've realized that I really don't care too much for sightseeing. I didn't like all the dark buildings, and when we went through the living spaces of the Emporer's 72 wives, I got really cold suddenly and all I was thinking about was leaving that place.. weird. That night I had a dinner with 刘琳 and 魏尧. I think the're both feeling a little sad because all their friends are leaving Beijing to spend Spring Festival (春节) with their families. So on my way back, I got confused and had a number of problems entered on a different line, made an unnessary transfer, went back, then ended taking the very long way around, went through the wrong exit, then after making to my home stop, took a cab to school (running low on already way late meeting) and had only 100圆 and six 1圆, five 5角, and a few 1角 bills to pay for a 10圆 ride. I broke my 10圆 on railway tickets, and lost my 50圆 (wait.. maybe I used it for ticket in Forbidden City??). The point is I didn't have the correct amount to pay for the cab ride. The driver wouldn't take the 100圆 and told me to just give him what I have in small bills, 多谢! Had a pretty good talk with Angeline and Nikki, many topics.. but still feeling 不好意思. While on the railway and waiting for 韩愈, I had a series of revelations concerning fashion, music and love, which I will have to talk about later! (I have to write it down soon, before they change again, haha) OH yeah.. had a small case of paramnesia while talking with Hanyu.. waahh!

Slept really late, don't know why, but I imagine I went to bed far later than I thought; the last time I checked the clock it was like 8:30 PM or something, and then I went took a walk, spent an undetermined amount of time practicing writing and then took another walk and then fell asleep. I completely forgot about contacting 关根良 today, and when I looked at my phone I had four calls and a text from him:

"This is guan gen liang, a friend of kelvin. i have something urgent! can you give me your email address and a call?"

So I'm going over an important English ducument that needs to be edited for tomorrow afternoon. I'm glad to help, but I feel really bad for not contacting him earlier.

Got another text and call on my phone from another number. I think it is 罗英, which is really funny because I have this long history of not knowing who is calling me and it ends up being her. She's a friend of David (大卫) who I met the same time I met him. Haven't seen her in a long time because, like 大卫, she has been busy like crazy with part-time work. I think she met up with Ba tonight but I didn't make it.. another time hopefully. :(

I need to start going to bed earlier. x .x

And! My major achievement today!!! I spent a couple hours formulating and writing down my goals. I've heard that people who write down their goals, even if they never look at them again, have a greater chance to fulfill them. So, I did this today. I have them all recorded at my 43things page, also linked on my sidebar as "雄心." I have written some explanations for a few of them, but not all. I will add more later. Right now I feel really good about it. Except one thing.. I started thinking about my bro again.. aaaaaaahhhhh maannnn!! we've got too much history together to just end it like this.. don't go yet, bro. :(

No comments: