21.1.07

line of thought (思维)

[love 愛]
my view of love is like this:
you spend your whole life hating somebody,
and then in a single instant,
you risk your own life to save theirs.
why?

[heart ache 心疼]
this is what I mean by 心疼:
it's the feeling when a beautiful girl/boy
suddenly walks into your sight,
but your hands are full and your feet wet,
and a windowed door shuts in your face,
so you can only see a framed image
as she/he walks out of site.
what do you do?

[love at first sight 一見鐘情]
don't know if it's real or not.
In the past I knew instantly a girl that I liked--without previously considering what I like and don't like. Now, having consciously thought about these things (thanks to Teng) you would think it would be easier to pick out a girl that I like.. while it's true to an extant, I instead got a completely new experience; Ended up really liking someone who I would have never expected. I think you see different parts of people.. there is a certain amount of information you can know about someone from a distance and another part you can only know by spending time with them. My meaning is that love is a long-term product. I think maybe love at first sight is possible, but that the "first-sight" part is superficial, the so-called "tip of the iceberg." Sometime, perhaps in a previous lifetime, these two people had some kind relationship, did the remedial work, so when they come around this time, all that's done and they can pick up where they left off, or go in a different direction. The larger view is that all human beings share a common bond of being like-specie, and taken far enough, have a common origin. So, all human beings have the potential for "love at first sight." From this perspective, the concept that love is the accumulation of experience actually ends up being false. I see it like a sponge. You can take a sponge and smash it down into a tiny ball, or you can let it expand into a big lump. The composition of the sponge stays the same in either case, just one form is more compact, and the other is more expanded. So if you go to that point of common origin, all the experience is there, compacted into a single instant, and as you move away from that instant, the experience expands into periods of time, seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, years, lifetimes.. on and on. So I guess love at first sight is real; love being both instantaneous and an accumulation of time, it just comes down to the moment you realize you love someone.

---

Wow! this was just my spontaneous thoughts while my mind was wondering.. I've had some interesting experiences and conversations today, and been thinking about a lot of unrelated stuff on my own.. and I still haven't reported my Harbin trip! another time!

3 comments:

vanilla said...

hi!!!

was wondering if I could add a the address of your webpage in my blog.

just leave your answer in my taboard.

=)

vanilla said...

hi!!!
can I link back here with my blog?

Hoopes said...

I tend to think that "love" is rather an ambiguous term in today's culture. There are five basic uses that I know of:
1) passion (I love music);
2) Eros (falling in love, love at first sight);
3) Affection;
4) Agape (Charity, Self-less Love); and
5) Philia (friendship love, seeing the same truth as another).

I read the Four Loves (yes, C. S. Lewis, how'd you guess?) and got this idea.

So "love at first sight" is different from love as a "long-term product". The former is Eros; it is a vision of heaven (in the Christian theology) that you see embodied in a woman. As you begin to know the woman better, you realize that she is not as perfect as you first supposed; and so other kinds of love emerge. I've found personally that Philia (friendship love), the love of "kindred spirits" as some call it, is far more beautiful and meaningful than any pleasure Eros could give me. But that's just me. :)

I hope I didn't say too much...you know how it is. I never get the chance to talk about this stuff, so it all comes out like a soda that's shook up! :)