29.1.07

New discovery (新的发现)

烤大麦和灵芝一起做特别好茶。味道差不多咖啡的。
---
Earlier, I had a talk with friends and this word, "serendipity," came up.. can't recall the circumstances. All I remember is realizing I had less than a vague idea of the meaning. I just now looked it up, 'cause I felt like adding to this post for some reason. It fits better than I expected.

serendipity - (n.) an aptitude for making fortunate discoveries by accident.

[Oxford English Dictionary]
f. Serendip, a former name for Sri Lanka + -ity. A word coined by Horace Walpole, who says (Let. to Mann, 28 Jan. 1754) that he had formed it upon the title of the fairy-tale `The Three Princes of Serendip,' the heroes of which `were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of.'

The Three Princes of Serendip
Info about serendipity
---
My philosophy is not to go looking for good things, but let good things come to you. The effort of striving too hard for something can in itself hinder you from attaining it. Human being is such a small, fragile thing. There are so many things beyond our control. So just let things happen as they do. But maybe I should be more proactive?

This thought needs to be revised. It is a bit too passive and defeatist. The idea is good, but it is incomplete for me - someone with little motivation, direction or desire. All this time, perhaps I was confusing desire with obsession. Desire is necessary and good thing. It is desire that enables people to find success and happiness. No matter how difficult something may be, with enough desire you'll never give up and eventually you will get what you really want. So, cultivating desire is very important.

I've been afraid of obsession. Mistaking it for desire, I've suppressed my enthusiasm, ambition and confidence. I have been using that idea thinking that it was good, but the truth of the matter is that I was misusing it. I have created all these different justifications why I shouldn't do something. I was only using it to protect me. Fear has been holding me back. I've been too weak, too cowardly.

"As Confucius says, 'Don't simply be good. Make good things happen.'" Although I'm taking Maude's idea out of context (she was speaking about morality), this line suddenly has a different meaning to me.

My philosophy now is: "Go looking for good things, but also let good things come to you."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"烤大麦和灵芝一起做特别好茶。味道差不多咖啡的". Really? I want to drink...Kevin;-)

Anonymous said...

Freedom and liberation may be applied to any situation of life or any aspect of one's self. I suggested adding these concepts to your considerations as you continue to ponder desire, obsession, etc.